7 Essential Things to do in Germany for All Thrill Seekers
For novice travelers, a trip to Germany may be all about the beer, bratwurst and lederhosen. But for those who prefer a bit more adrenaline with their sausages, the country has much more to offer. Adventure travelers headed to Germany are in luck—here are seven can’t-miss experiences that are sure to get a thrill seeker’s blood pumping.
Soar Over the Black Forest
If you think walking through the Black Forest is intimidating, try flying over it while suspended from a zipline. Located near the town of Schiltach, the Hirschgrund zipline area offers a seven-line course that takes about two-and-a-half hour to complete. The hike to the top of the course may be worth the price of admission alone, but that’s nothing compared to seeing birds fly below you as you cruise over the canopy of the legendary forest.
Sail Above the Alps
For a bird’s-eye view of another of Germany’s natural wonders, the folks at Paraworth offer paragliding over the Bavarian Alps. Those looking to bump up the adrenaline rush can take part in a freestyle acro tandem flight, a 15- to 30-minute experience during which the pilots add a bit of aerobatics into the mix–just enough to get your heart pumping.
The team offers a more romantic version of paragliding as well. Couples can take off together (along with their tandem pilots), while also flying and landing close to one another. The idea is to enjoy the experience with a loved one, with sparkling wine and chocolates available when you land to enhance the mood. These rides are a bit longer than standard solo rides to produce a more memorable experience.
Speed on the Autobahn
With a reputation as one of the world’s fastest roads, 65 percent of the 7,500-mile-long Autobahn has no speed limit whatsoever. The remaining 35 percent? Nothing to shrug at either, with speed limits up to 80 miles per hour.
Be advised: Drivers in Germany follow lane rules closely to guarantee the best driving experience. That means stay to the right when possible, and use the left lanes only when you intend to make a pass. In addition to high-speed thrills, sections of the Autobahn include plenty of scenery as well.
Get Your Thrills on Rides
Fans of thrill rides will love Europa Park in the town of Rust, Europe’s second-most-popular theme park after Disneyland Paris. One of the best parts of the park is its abundance of roller coasters, 15 of them to be exact. There are coasters for all levels of riders, from kids all the way up to the most hardened of thrill seekers. One of the most exhilarating coasters is the Blue Fir Megacoaster, which goes from 0 to 100 in 2.5 seconds.
Dangle from a Tree
You may think the camping experience is similar no matter where in the world you are. That would mean you’ve probably never camped in the German Alps town of Kappel. Located near the Austrian border, the campground allows couples to sleep in tents that hang from trees, suspended well above the ground to take advantage of the picturesque mountain views.
The tents are raised above ground with help from a rope and can descend at any time. For those looking for even bigger thrills, the resort allows gusts to sleep on the side of cliff faces up to 2,000 meters in the air. Just be sure you have your sleepwalking issue under control before you visit.
Experience a Racing Legend
Some may think taking a taxi ride in New York is an adventure, but it’s nothing compared to taxi rides at Nürburgring, one of the most famous race tracks in the world. For a fee of 225 euros, visitors can ride in a 560-horsepower BMW M5 with a professional driver along the 20-kilometer Nordschleife. The ultra-challenging circuit boasts no less than 73 corners–make sure to schedule lunch for after the ride and not before.
The venue also offers other circuits and services, including driving and drift training. Those looking to take the BMW Ring-Taxi ride on Nordschleife should plan ahead, however–all dates for the attraction are already booked for the rest of 2016.
Never Bored in Berchtesgaden
The area surrounding Berchtesgaden National Park is popular among thrill seekers sue to the sheer number of activities available. There is rock climbing, salt mine exploring, hang gliding and gondola rides in addition to sightseeing. Among the main sites to see is the Eagle’s Nest, a building from the Third Reich era presented to Adolf Hitler on his 50th birthday.
Germany is a large European country with plenty to see and do. Even for the most daring of thrill seekers, these seven experience should be a great starting point.
Are you ready for an adventure trip through Germany? Which of these recommendations stood out for you? Let us know what you think in the comments section below:)
Also, have a story or guide you’d like to share? Submit your guest post idea and we’ll put it out there!